There is a great deal of uncertainty about the ongoing impact of Coronavirus, its impact on the poultry industry and the United States as a whole. The following resources have been vetted by USPOULTRY and made available to connect our members with information on the current situation, emergency planning tools and recommended control measures. This page will be updated on an ongoing basis.
Last Update: 5-29-2020 @ 3:00 p.m.
Occupational Health and Safety References for Response to COVID-19
CDC, NIOSH Resources
In response to COVID-19, CDC is operationalizing all of its pandemic preparedness and response plans, working on multiple fronts to meet these goals, including specific measures to prepare communities to respond to local transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19.
CDC recently updated the Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to provide updated information on cleaning and disinfection, best practices for conducting social distancing, and strategies and recommendations that can be implemented now to respond to COVID-19. OSHA released additional guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID-19 in Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19.
Additional resources include:
To stay up to date on the response, please visit the COVID-19 web page
Additionally, guidance and recommendations were included for personal protective equipment. The NIOSH also published a list of approved N95 respirators, as well as infographics, factsheets and FAQs.
N-95 Respirators Resources:
Instructions on putting on and fitting respirators:
Wage and Hour - Department of Labor
The OSHA published a document titled "Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19." This document includes information on how workplaces will be affected by absenteeism, change in commerce patterns, and interruptions in supply and delivery.
Additionally, guidelines are provided for employers to develop an infectious disease preparedness and response plan to address the level of risk at worksites (e.g. sources of exposure for workers).
Jobs are also classified by level of exposure risk. These sections include specific measures that employers and workers can take to protect themselves.
Temporary Enforcement Guidance - Healthcare Respiratory Protection Annual Fit-Testing for N95 Filtering Facepieces During the COVID-19 Outbreak
COVID-19 Control and Prevention
OSHA STate Plan LInks
Enforcement Guidance for Respiratory Protection and the N95 Shortage Due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
Enforcement Guidance for the Use of Respiratory Protection Equipment Certified under Standards of Other Countries or Jurisdictions During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
U.S. Department of Labor Reminds Employers That They Cannot Retaliate Against Workers Reporting Unsafe Conditions During Coronavirus Pandemic
Expanded Temporary Enforcement Guidance on Respiratory Protection Fit-Testing for N95 Filtering Facepieces in All Industries During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
U.S. Department of Labor Publishes New OSHA Poster Aimed At Reducing Workplace Exposure to the Coronavirus - English PDF - Spanish PDF
U.S. Department of Labor Issues Enforcement Guidance for Recording Cases of COVID-19
Interim Enforcement Response Plan for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Discretion in Enforcement When Considering an Employer's Good Faith Efforts During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
OSHA COVID-19 Resources Update - 4-21-20
Interim Guidance for Meat and Poultry Processing Workers and Employers
Enforcement Guidance on Decontamination of Filtering Facepiece Respirators in Healthcare During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
OSHA Statement of Enforcement for Meat and Processing Facilities
U.S. Department of Labor Publishes 11 New Translations of OSHA Poster to Help Prevent Workplace Coronavirus Exposure
Updated Interim Enforcement Response Plan for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Revised Enforcement Guidance for Recording Cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
OSHA Workplace COVID-19 Resources - Updated 5-26-20
Occupational Health Nurses Resources
- WHO (World Health Organization) - Coronavirus-2019 (updated daily)
- WHO Situation Reports - Daily updates with global data about the epidemic (updated daily)
- CDC (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Coronavirus-2019 (updated daily)
- CDC - Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers (updated February 26, 2020)
- CDC Environmental Cleaning and Disinfecting
- CDC - Interim Guidance for Healthcare Facilities: Preparing for Community Transmission of COVID-19 in the United States (updated February 29, 2020)
- CDC - Guidance on PPE for health care providers (updated 2/29/2020)
- EPA - List of EPA-approved Antimicrobial Products for Use Against Coronavirus (updated March 3, 2020)
- Guidance for Use of N-95 respirators past their expiration dates
(update March 2, 2020)
- OSHA - COVID-19 (undated)
- Cal/OSHA - Guidance on Requirements to Protect Workers from Coronavirus (updated March 6, 2020)
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center including the Dashboard of global case statistics (updated daily)
- WHO, Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19
- WHO/WPRO, The COVID-19 risk communication package for healthcare facilities
- WHO, Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak: Rights, roles and responsibilities of health workers, including key considerations for occupational safety and health (English only)
- WHO, ePROTECT respiratory occupational health and safety
- WHO and ILO, Occupational safety and health in public health emergencies: A manual for protecting health workers and responders (English only)
- ILO and WHO, Work improvement in health services (English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arab, Chinese)
- ILO, Guidelines on Decent Work in Public Emergency Services (English only)
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses (AAOHN) COVID-19 Resources
State and Local Health Departments - Check Daily